Travelling by car

back to Arriving to Croatia

Coming from central Europe, you can reach some of the coast destinations faster by car than by train. During the summer months traffic at the borders is a bit heavier, and that can cause some delay. To enter and drive in Croatia, you will require a green insurance card and valid national or international driving permit.

Fuel: Petrol stations in big towns and cities as well as on important roads are open non-stop, otherwise the working hours are from 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Lead-free petrol is available on all petrol stations and it is called bezolovni (green label). In July and August news and traffic information are broadcast in English and German regularly on main Croatian broadcast stations. A toll is payable on motorways.

Regulations: Traffic drives on the right. Speed limits are 130kph (81mph) on motorways, 100kph (62mph) on dual carriageways, 50kph (31mph) in built-up areas and 80kph (50mph) outside built-up areas. The amount of the fine depends on the extent of the infraction committed. Blood/alcohol limit is 0.5 ppm.

Accidents must be reported to the police (Policija) immediately. Police emergency number is 92. Croatian Auto Club, HAK (Hrvatski Auto Klub) works together with other international automobile clubs.
HAK, Draškoviceva 25, 10000 Zagreb, tel: 01 4554 433, fax. 01 448 630.
Road service of the HAK is available by dialling 987.

Rent-a-car: The driver must be 23 years old and licensed. Most international rental agencies have offices in Croatia’s larger towns.

back to Arriving to Croatia